<$BlogMetaData$>

Thursday, May 20, 2004

same-sex marriage

This topic has been in the news a lot recently. I think that good arguments can be made on both sides. But this is something I am against. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate gay people. I don't even care if you, my dear reader are gay. Thats not my issue. Your life is your life.

But I do draw a line when people are different, and they try to shove those differences in the face of others, yelling out loud, advertising the fact that they are different and that everybody else has to accept it. As I said, I do accept the difference, but at my own pace and at my own liking. I despise it when it is shoved in my face forcing me to accept in on the spot.

Some people say that gay couples should be granted the same rights as everybody else. Aye. Human rights crap again. Fair enough. But get this right. Marriage is NOT a fundamental human right. Like, for example, you can't get married to your blood relative. Or you can't marry more than one person at a time, even though in some of the above cases, genuine love might exist.

Again, I reiterate that while there is nothing wrong at all with same sex relationships and that homosexual couples should still have rights, the fact remains that they are different from a heterosexual relationship because of a simple reason - they are unable to produce children of their own.

The community of every living creature, from a single cell amoeba to a big sperm whale has one main objective - the propagation of their society through the production of offspring. And so, since heterosexual marriage is likely to produce offspring (lets ignore infertile people) it is allowed and encouraged by granting certain benefits to married couples which would not be shared by everybody else.

Same sex relationships, on the other hand cannot produce offspring naturally and thus do not contribute to the continuation of society. So, why should they be granted social benefits such as tax rebates granted to married couples with children?

Opposing gay marriage is not the same as objecting the existance of homosexuals. I believe that the most that society can do is to strike a balance between despising homosexual unions and actually promoting same sex marriages. A big fat bold line has to be drawn at tolerance of homosexuals - unfortunately many Malaysians are unable to find that line as it is stuck quite far up their arse (you didn't possibly think I could publish on whole blog without sarcasm did you?). And that should be the end of it.

Ramblings: Post a Comment

<< Home