<$BlogMetaData$>

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

last minute worker

People who know me well know that I am a bit sick in the head. Well, actually, anybody who reads this blog would have probably figured that out. But what I actually mean is that I am sadistic. I like causing trouble for myself, and then solving all those problems myself, and then look myself in the mirror and tell myself that I am great.

Anyways, it is a really great habit of mine to throw all my assignments in the corner and only get down to it at the very last minute. For example, a case study given 4 weeks ago was kept at the bottom of my file and only looked at yesterday. Its due on Friday. Another assignment due on Friday was given way back in the first week of October. I started it 3 days ago.

Why Vincent, why? You are not a very good student. One pompous classmate of mine expressed an exasperated disbelieve last week when I told him that I hadn't even looked at the assignment yet. He asked me why I hadn't started yet. I told him that I am a lazy fuck. He then asked whether I was busy with other stuffs. I told him that I am busy sleeping everyday. The dude then proceeded to advice me that 'this is not the way a 1st class student works'. I looked at him, and laughed in his face while admiring his dumbfucked expression.

So, what's my problem? I believe that I work best under stress. I like to cram everything to the last minute. Inspiration comes when under pressure. Its a talent that not many people have. Usually, under stress, people crack, people go nuts. Me, I savour the challenge and raise to the occasion. I can't do work knowing that I have so much time left till the deadline. I prefer to take that time doing other more important stuffs like sleeping and playing.

I have lost count of the times when I have actually camped over night in the computer lab, furiously typing a report or doing some technical drawings. I start working at night, and plan my work for the night so thwat I usually finish around 6am. Hand in my work in the courseworks pigeonhole, and then go back and sleep a very nice sleep. End result - not much different from my classmates who do their work in advance. Sometimes I do better than them, sometimes a little worse. But generally somewhere around the class average.

Then you ask, Vincent, you always talk about perfection. How come now you are settling for average marks? Well, sometimes compromises have to be made. This way, I get to enjoy the best of both worlds. I get to enjoy student life. When I graduate, I can look back and think, 'At least I wasn't a geek doing work everyday.' I have a talent of being a fast learner, and hence I can afford to cram my work till the end. So why not make use of that talent?

*This method is not a very good idea for most people. 98% of the people who try this end up getting really crappy marks and go crazy at the end of the day. Don't try this at home.

*If you wish to ignore my advice and try it, then may I suggest ONE can of Red Bull and some digestive biscuits to keep you company throughout the night.

Ramblings: Post a Comment

<< Home