<$BlogMetaData$>

Sunday, February 06, 2005

american sports

*Updated after the game*

Superbowl XXXIX is on tv tonight. For the first time in my life, I am going to attempt to watch American Football.

Now, I consider myself a huge sports fan. I watch anything and everything sports related. From the popular football to the boring cricket and weird lacrosse. Rugby, handball, lawn bowls, fencing, you name it, I've watched it. However, there is this weird thing about American sports that I don't get.

Firstly, these dudes try to be different. The whole world plays rugby, but these guys play 'football'. Don't even get me started on why its called football when its a game that they play with their hands. The whole world also plays cricket, but they play baseball. (the Japs are in the same group here). Never mind that, most games, you can figure out the rules by watching, but I could never figure out American football although I've watched it on ESPN endlessly.

Another thing with American sports is that there is a shit load of commercials in between. In every other sport, like football (the real one) commercials only come on during half time, when the players take a break. American sports however, have a time-out system where the coaches can call to chat with their players. This happens a lot near the end of the game, usually where tension is high. As a sports fan, its moments like these which are the most appealing.

It can actually be said that these time-outs and rules were introduced for the sole purpose of TV rights. The NBA, for example plays 4 quaters, compared to international basketball rules where the game is split into 2 halves.


*don't bitch about the arguments which are all over the place and not arranged properly.....I got loads of shits to do...*



Ok...its 3.30am. The game just ended. I'll come up with a cool article about this tomorrow. I MAY have changed my mind a bit. Just a bit. The ending was fun. But tooo many commercials. A start stop game is boring. There is, however, something that all sports competitions around the world should learn from those Yanks. The inclusion of a very talented group of individuals below:


.
.
.
.
.
.
.


Labels:


Ramblings: Post a Comment

<< Home