<$BlogMetaData$>

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

words of a different kind

I was reading a forwarded email the other day which asked the reader to guess what the most commonly spoken word in the English language is (discounting words like 'I' , 'the', 'is', etc...)

Apparently, the most commonly spoken word is 'Hello'.

That's right. Unless you are a nutter, you usually only speak when you communicate with other people. And usually, the opening line in a sentence is "Hello". Even on the phone, you tend to say "Hello" as the opening line.

However, for me, "Hello" is probably one of the least frequent words I use.

If you hear me saying "hello" to you, that's because I do not know you well enough, and hence I am trying to be very polite. With close friends or people I am more comfortable with, I acknowledge them affectionately with "Eh" or "Oi". And no, I don't find it rude....



On a slightly related issue, I emailed my dad with some details about the holiday that I had planned for my family when they come here for my graduation. I had also asked a few questions, like what kind of restaurant they want to go to on the night of my graduation (for celebration. Because apparently, it is a very big deal.)

Dad replied in his typical style :

DEAR VINCY,

DINNER ON 13/7 - PLEASE GO AHEAD AND BOOK A NICE RESTAURANT FOR ALL OF US
INCLUDING YOUR SPECIAL FRIEND.

THE REST OF THE QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED SEPARATELY.

WITH LOVE AND GOOD LUCK ON 9/6. - LAU.


That's my dad alright. Totally awesome.

He never calls me VINCY. Nobody calls me anything except Vincent. Some of my British friends call me Vinny, but that's because they like to shorten people's names. At home, dad calls me "Oi" or "Eh". Most of the time though, he just says things without even addressing me.

The first line totally cracked me up, even though I am used to it. He doesn't use words like "girlfriend" or "partner" when when he talked to my sister once upon a time. Apparently, "special friend" sounds a lot nicer to his ears...

And then he signs off with LAU, just like he would sign off a work related email...

As you can see, dad is not a person who expresses his emotions is words. I think I am pretty much growing to be just like him which is totally cool.


*Oh, the only type of emotion that I express in words are curses, just like my dad when he was young (mum told me).

Labels:


Ramblings:
Hey, i called u vincy last nite (or ur early morning t 6) and didnt know about the blog entry..

so i can call u that ritez? :p

p/s- can i meet ur special fren too?

 



no you cant.
 



Hey, he DID say "with love". And who's the special friend*? Am I being invited to a free meal in exchange for meeting your family? ;)

*Disclaimer: please note that I'm choosing to interprete "special friend" to mean something other than partner/gf/bf. ;)

 



no. bugger off.
 



does kim know about your special friend?

if so, then i shall ask her :)

congratulations on your upcoming graduation

 



AWWW VINCY...

so cute...

i shall change the link in my blog to say vincy's bitching blog..

 



thanks sweelin.

tilia : you. bugger off too.

 



incy vincy spider......
 



Post a Comment

<< Home