<$BlogMetaData$>

Thursday, August 25, 2005

despicable

You know what the most prominent Malaysian culture is? It isn't the pirated stuffs, or the diversity. It's the incessant complaining about our homeland. We complain non-stop about the government and their policies. We complain about how everything is not up to standard with other countries. We complain and point fingers at every higher power imaginable......except the highest power of them all - us citizens who have all that power to make our country a better place.

Yesterday was about an immature FOREIGNER insulting us. That, although being totally disrespectful, nonetheless, she is a foreigner. I was actually even more riled up by the comments written by some Malaysians in agreement with her. This was one of them :
ethan said...

I'd like to apologize, on behalf of my fellow KL-ians. I'm sorry.
Sorry? Sorry for what? That your home is inadequate in the eyes of a foreigner? Sorry that your home disgraces you? Would you apologise to your friends if you had a handicapped brother? Keep your stupid apologies to yourself and be proud of your humble home. No doubt, that a lot of things said were true. However, do not take a piss out of yourself and your country by airing your dirty laundry in public. If you have a fight with your dad, or your mum pisses you off, do you proudly go around telling the whole world about it? Have some pride, people.

A few days ago, I came across this article written by a Malaysian living in Singapore. If you have the time, do read it and read the comments as well. It really saddens me to read things like that. I have a few such friends who enjoyed life overseas so much that they compare it to everything back home to the point that they end up hating Malaysia. I have been here for 3 years now, and granted that it's not as long as some people, it is still enough for me to weigh the pros and cons.

Of course there are a lot of things better here. If you didn't already know, I am trying to look for a job here. In that sense, the job market is almost like a dream. The work attitude is much better. Racial favouritism is virtually non-existant because it is something that the offender can get into deep trouble for. But I never complain about how it is back home. It is something we all grew up with, and I guess we sometimes have to accept things for the way they are. We have to accept the fact that things are done differently everywhere.

Not one to air my dirty laundry in public, when my British friends ask me about home, I tell them that it consists of three major races and we live in harmony. It paints an idealistic picture, and one that isn't very true, but why the need to tell outsiders things that they do not need to know?

However, there was once, when a close friend of mine asked. We had just finished working in the workshop for the day and we were tired. While walking back, he asked me about the job conditions back home and why I wanted to work here. Since I was close to him, and he really wanted to know, I told him everything. It was shocking, I would guess, to him that I spoke freely about the problems like as though it didn't bother me and as though I was ok with that idea.

Incredulous, he said, "And you still want to go back after a few years?"

"Yups.."

"Why?" he asked, as we were reaching the junction to the bus stop.

"Because..." I said, as I turned to get onto the bus, "It's home."




Update: 5 May 2007

Dear asssholes,

I have closed the comments box for this post, because the shit you morons write are mostly stupid. Amongst Malaysia's "flaws" is that she doesn't allow free speech. Guess what? Neither do I. With free speech comes responsibility, something that the majority of you Malaysians do not have, as clearly shown in the comments box. Yet, you moan and groan about the state of this country.

If you are not happy, you stay and fix things. If you think running away is the best option, then please pack your dreaded bags, and LEAVE. Get out. Get lost. No country needs people like that. You are nothing but parasites eating of the host and complaining that the host doesn't feed you well.

Shoo.

Labels:



<< Home