<$BlogMetaData$>

Saturday, May 19, 2007

narcism

I've always thought of myself as a narcissistic person. I think I am indeed awesome and you could even go as far as saying that I am very much in love with myself. I have never known the meaning of modesty and I seem to think that narcism is in fact a good attribute a person should have.

But then, over the week I have been thinking about a variety of issues. Firstly, the other day, I was reading a blog that was ranting about the leaky issues. I swear it was one of the funniest stuff I have read about in recent times (the leaky story, not the blog) and the writer was telling all of us that he had done his duty as a Malaysian, and that he had just registered to be a voter. He goes on to say that he knows who he will vote for in the next elections, and he knows his vote will make a difference.

Sounds pretty normal, no?

Well, yes it sounds normal. But that is pretty fucking narcisstic, don't you think? Everybody keeps saying it until it has become mundane and the accepted fact. But seriously, do you think YOUR ONE VOTE makes the difference? Are you that deluded? Yes, collectively, in a herd, every vote counts. Therefore, you can say that everybody should play their part, yes. But your vote and your vote alone makes no difference.

This is like the people who complain about the government wasting public funds. This isn't to say that tax payers' money isn't wasted on ridiculous things everyday, but to say, "Bloody hell, waste my tax money to plant tree by the roadside" is indeed a blinking stupid thing to say. The IRB collected some RM65 billion in taxes last year. So tell me again, how much did you pay exactly? Less than a drop in the ocean. Again, you can say that they are wasting public funds, but don't be narcistic enough to say that they are wasting YOUR insignificant tax money (unless your name is Lim Goh Tong).

But all that is not as bad as the narcissists that call themselves religious people. If you consider the majority of the major religions, they all say that God is the supreme being - the creator of all things in the universe, big or small. Then they also say that God loves them all, and cares for them. Sometimes, if bad things happen, it is because God loves them so much that He wants to test their faith.

Hold it.

Now, I am someone who thinks that I am like a freaking genius and that everybody else is inferior. And the fact that I like to keep pointing that fact out to people makes me a narcissist in most people's eyes. But even so, I do not believe that out of all of God creations, from the Milky Way to the amoeba, that an all powerful supreme being actually gives a shit about an insignificant piece of shit like me. I am after all, nothing but a mere mortal.

My existence is irrelevant to the bigger things around the universe. Just like a single grain of sand is irrelevant to the existence of the Great Barrier Reef, how can I be so narcissistic as to believe that an omnipotent being with obviously bigger and more important things to do has my destiny on his 'to-do list'?

Imagine God's to-do list on His daily organiser...

(click to enlarge)

Don't be silly. In the context of the universe, you are irrelevant. You are insignificant and inconsequential (actually, so is the Sumatran Rhino, but I added him in the list for fun). Enough with your narcissism already. Your existence doesn't matter to the existence of the other living creatures trawling the universe any more than the existence of a paramecium in your drain matters to you.

Labels:


Ramblings:
[insert long, elaborate explanation about how each living thing is connected and thus it's important to play one's part, as well as argument that God does care and therefore that makes Him a pretty darn cool higher being that is worth believing in]

kthxbai

 



God, the reason men go crazy and start killing each other.

Add one more to the list.

-Make menkind stop believing in me.

 



You don't get my point. I believe in a higher power. I believe in God (or whatever name you like to call him).

I am just not narcisstic enough to believe that he gives a shit about you and me.

 



Well he does give a shit whether you like it or not ;P.
 



nowhere in my comment did i say you didn't believe in God, but let's not get nit-picky here now, shall we?
 



i fully agree 100% wif vincent, god cant give a damn abt u and me cos he is one and there are many bilions of us but its ok, cos i got my parents!!!!

me looks at lishun scarerily and said thx 4 dropping by but runs away hides behind vincent

 



Post a Comment

<< Home