<$BlogMetaData$>

Monday, December 03, 2007

what's up, doc?

I have been in Hicksville for almost one and a half years now, yet today was the first time I paid a visit to the doctor for a medical opinion. I had been once before, but that was for a routine company medical check-up.

It is not that I don't like visiting the doctor, I just don't believe in pumping my system with drugs when my antibodies are well equiped to take care of it. Sore throat? Drink water lah. Flu? There is no known cure so just sleep it off lah. That said, I don't get sick that often either. Try once a year. And in the 2 years plus that I have been working, I never once had to take an MC. Besides, unlike some lazy cows around, I don't slack off work anyway.

Anyway, the point is that I went to the doctor to get some tests done. Medically, the only thing wrong with me was that I boozed too much way back in university and kinda messed up my liver. I wanted to get a Liver Function Test done and also needed an opinion regarding the constant aches in my body lately (but that could have been due to the golf, haha!).

I walked into the room, and sat behind the desk was a rather large woman. Now, while large people in general are good for a laugh (it's funny to make fun of them), fat doctors are just plain wrong. How the hell do they tell their patients to watch their diet and live a healthy lifestyle when they are chomping down a large Big Mac McValue Meal set after their shift?

In this Hicktown, you are usually only allowed to use one of two languages - Malay or Cantonese. If you see a Chinese, you speak in Cantonese (which really helped me improve my Cantonese) and if you see anybody else, you speak in Malay. However, I figured that doctors should be exempt from that rule. If you made it through med-school, you sure as hell ought to be able to speak English, right?

Wrong.

Right from my first greeting, she answered all my English questions in Malay. That's all fine because I can get along fine with Malay. But it bugged me that my doctor couldn't string together a coherent sentence in English. Which med-school did she go to? Never mind her obviously obese body frame; could I trust her opinions?

As I walked out of the clinic, there was a name list of about 8 doctors hanging on the front door. I figured that the doctors would most probably be listed according to their seniority or demand. You wouldn't expect the owner or the head honcho to be languishing at the bottom of the list, would you? I turned around and asked the nurse for the name of the doctor that just treated me.

Her name was right at the bottom of the list. Go figures.

Labels:


Ramblings:
this is why university XYZ focuses on 8 important outcomes...

...whatever.

the medical profession is just like any other profession. there will be the brilliant ones, the average ones, and the ones that are the reason the profession draws so much flack. it doesn't really matter where they were educated or how. it just matters that they could do so much better.

 



"go figures"

"flack"

what the hell is happening to vincent & gang???

 



typos, my friend. such nitpicking. or shall i say...nitpiking? =)
 



tsk tsk... lishun is dumb.

a typographical error is an error that results from striking the wrong key i.e the key other than that which was intended to be struck on a keyboard.

you didn't know how to spell "flak" my dear, as as such, you drew much "flack".

vincent on the other hand can be excused as after a careful examination of the QWERTY keyboard, it has been discovered that the letter "e" is adjacent to the letter "e". therefore, although he also proudly claims that he says "stuffs" on purpose, i am unable to prove this point beyond reasonable doubt.

 



Gosh! I shoult be going for English glasses then.
 



you'd be surprised that a there's a handful of doctors in KL who cant string an English sentence together.
 



yng lyn, don't forget the self-proclaimed genius engineers and bloggers.

vincent, your english is above average for a malaysian. however, seeing as to how you tend to shoot your mouth off and think you are too smart, perhaps you shoult be going for english glasses.

 



English is for pussies, I speak American.
 



laksarian meows
 



"...how you tend to shoot your mouth off and think you are too smart..."

For a person so interested in my welfare, I am surprised you got this bit wrong.

I don't THINK I am too smart. I KNOW I am.

 



"...how you tend to shoot your mouth off and mistakenly think that you know that you are too smart..."

that didn't quite click, but if you insist, i retract my earlier statement, and replace it with the above.

 



where is Hicksville?
 



Funnily enough, I share the same philosophy about modern medicine. And I too have almost never fallen sick. Never needed the fucking doctor and his/her antibiotics.

Sicknesses should be left alone. That way all the weak fuckers can die.

 



So I presume you are going to leave your parents to die when they start getting sick due to old age?
 



Post a Comment

<< Home