<$BlogMetaData$>

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

missing the big picture

Since everybody is so hung up on racial issues as of late, I decided that I would start with a story of my weekend. Yes, it is late because I have been both busy and lazy, as well as crying over our dreadful Olympic performances. Anyway, a good part of my Saturday afternoon was spent in Seremban where a bunch of us took a road trip (if you can call a 45 minute drive a 'road trip') to attend our close friend's wedding.

We spent a good part of the time discussing whether Guo Jingjing was hotter than Xie Xinfang - because boys will always be boys. It was your typical Malay wedding held in the bride's house where they close up the stretch of road and the guests sit under the canopy on the street. Long story short, we were having problems locating the place because our navigator couldn't read the map properly (men don't need maps).
"Fuck it la, let's just drive until we see a signboard"
"What signboard?"
"Eh, kammon la. This is a Malay wedding. Sure got signboards - just look for Ros + Alf"
"Hehe, for Chinese we only have signboards when we die. Got candle summore.."


First up was the issue of the controversial 'Conversion to Islam' forum held on Saturday. Many people, friends and random blogs that I have been reading have condemned the actions of the protestors. Many took to heart the fact that the Chinese were referred to as 'babi' and were asked to 'Balik China!'. Many were unhappy over the fact that the protestors made no effort to understand what the forum was about in the first place, and that they were rowdy and unruly.

When I was studying in the UK, I once experienced someone hurling racist remarks at me while I was minding my own business having lunch at McDonalds. A lot of people would have been annoyed, but I wasn't really bothered for the simple fact that she was nothing but a lowly pikey. It wasn't worth getting worked out over.

Going back to the big hoo-hah at the forum, why are you people getting worked up over some uneducated, unemployed ruffians screaming ridiculous profanities which they hardly understand themselves? (Balik China? How about the Chinese Muslims? Do they need to balik China as well?) You have the opportunity to take the moral high ground here. You can always say that you agreed to a civilised discussion but you were interuptted by uncivilised people.

But you got your priorities wrong and you are barking up the wrong tree.

Instead, you should be upset that the big guns are the ones who have let you down.

The Prime Minister who doesn't want such forums to be held, ever.
The Deputy Prime Minister who thinks that the organisers of a civilised discussion are in the wrong.
The so-called Prime Minister-in-waiting who can't keep his house in order. (He has said that he will take action - so credit due there, but let's wait and see, shall we?)
The DAP big guns who seem to be on holiday, considering the fact that they have never been afraid to speak up, but have treated us to a deafening silence this time around.

What have all those people been doing for you?

Absolutely nothing.

And that is what I am annoyed at. That the so-called leaders (and wannabe leaders) of this country have been too terrified to make a stand because they are afraid that a few hooligans on the street would not vote for them.



And then we get to the UiTM issue.

Personally, I have never supported the idea that a learning institution of any kind be constricted (formally or informally) along racial lines. That is why I have never been in favour of Chinese and Tamil schools. When such segregation happens, not only is there a lack of understanding of each other's race and religion, it also does nothing to help the learning process that schools and universities are supposed to cultivate.

When I was studying, I made it a point to do my group projects with students from other nationalities. I worked with many people, from the Brits, Italians, Greeks, and Iranians to the Indians, Thais, Koreans and Americans. Each of them taught me something about their work ethics and I learnt to pick up the good points from each and every one of them.

Students shouldn't be worried that another 'race' of people, nevermind that these are their own countrymen, are taking their places, but instead should be happy that they can learn more and improve themselves. But most students are immature and don't realise things like this, and so it is up to the teachers and the leaders to teach them that.

So again, it is not the 5000 students I am annoyed at, but the UiTM vice-chancellor who has no business being an educator as he clearly does not know what it takes to improve his school and his students.

And back to my beef with our politicians, we all know where the BN government stands on this (which is why they got spanked so badly in March). However, the so-called champion of equality, Anwar Ibrahim, who has been so keen to tell us about his vision of meritocracy and how he wants to abolish the NEP, had a perfect opportunity to address this issue here, but failed to muster a single word.

Is his silence here an indication of what we can expect from his proposed government?

The same old status quo?

Labels: ,


Ramblings:
I'd take Fu Mingxia over any of the young ones now. Pity she's now married to some old fogey.

So I'll settle for Guo Jing Jing. at least I'm sure she's not jailbait. haha.

serious issues? what's that?

 



hah
never trusted AI.
lower petrol price my arse.
he can go shower with an entire football team, see if i give a shit heh

 



PKR adviser Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said:

“It is obvious that Khalid’s intention is nothing but to give UiTM students wider exposure.

“And this includes the possibility of accepting international and non-bumiputra students in certain fields, especially those which involve global issues.

“We have to accept the fact that the quality of our local education institutions have fallen far behind universities in our neighbouring countries

[Source : The Star]
*****

Its not much, but he DID say something, and sounds like he acknowledges the problem.

 



Dear Blogger,

Hello.

My name is Edward Skading, from Selangor, Malaysia. I am writing for your viewpoint and support towards a good cause campaign to protect and uphold our consumer rights.

I am being sued by an arrogant corporate company (F&N Dairies (M) Sdn Bhd) because I exposed a horrible discovery concerning one of their products on my weblog. It is all about my shocking finding of an abnormal substance (mould) in a “Tea Pot” brand, sweeten condensed milk tin-can. You can read the full story (all the correspondence letters) and view photos of the contaminated milk and the disgusting hazardous conditions of F&N Dairies’ plant at my weblog http://consumersrighteousness.blogspot.com/.

As a consumer, I am sickened by the fact that we are not provided utmost protection from this sort of situations and whatever consumer rights we have now are defenceless. I also feel that my human rights had been deprived when I am being forced to silence and on top of all, I feel cheated when the company executive responded to my grievances that they are not liable for damaged products in the marketplace.

I am only requesting that the company be truthful, reliable and accountable for their mistakes, moreover produce cleaner and safer food. I believe, it is the responsibility of our whole society to protect the rights and benefits of consumers, and all concerned parties should together strive to do the work of standing up for consumer rights, improving the consumption environment, and pushing for faster, better economic and social development.

I sincerely hope you will cover my story on your weblog or your news portal and tell my story to the world. I would greatly value and appreciate your kind support.

If you wish to contact me, please send your email to eddskading@hotmail.com.

Thank you.

Yours truly,

Edward Skading

 



Post a Comment

<< Home